A brand is something that should be taken care of often.
Taking care of a brand means constantly evaluating its value—how it’s performing against target audiences, its relevance in the marketplace and in today’s culture, and how it’s being treated within ever-changing marketing materials. There are certain times that trigger even more targeted attention, though. They are:
- When there is a shift in company strategy
- When it’s been a long time since the brand has been evaluated
- When a company is in the midst of a growth spurt
- When what you’ve got just won’t get you where you want to go
At 434 Marketing, we saw ourselves creeping toward the last two categories and knew that now was the time to rebrand.
What Our Evaluation Told Us
While we’re still a fairly young company, we have grown considerably in the last few years and have been on the precipice of even more growth for some time.
In that realization, we found ourselves in the “When a company is in the midst of a growth spurt” and “When what you’ve got just won’t get you where you want to go” categories. We didn’t complain one bit. Instead, we felt incredibly thankful.
We’ve been fortunate enough to partner with clients that we truly believe in and they’ve entrusted us to put out work for them that pushes us strategically and creatively, and also gets them where they need to go. As we continue to chase the work that fulfills us, we do so with a fresh face and fresh goals.
How That Translates into a New Brand
When the realization hit us that we were ready for a rebrand, we got together and completed a brand audit on ourselves. We wanted to address a handful of key points as we moved into the design phase:
- We wanted to create a foundational brand; one that is bold but malleable. We wanted to create a brand that could flex and grow as design trends, our clients and our services change.
- We wanted to give our brand more flexibility. In its former state, our icon and our word mark could never be left to live independently from the other. Essentially, we’d be splitting our name if we kept the 434 icon and the word “Marketing” separate.
- We wanted to grow up a little bit. We’ll forever be the weirdos at 434 Marketing. That will never change. But we also realized that with the responsibility of our client’s faith and trust comes a lot of maturity.
When we were working through the ideation of the new design, we didn’t want an on-the-nose interpretation of our name. While our name is representative of the city in which we live and work, our clients stretch beyond the city’s boundaries. So, we searched for ways to represent ourselves in a more abstract way.
The lines of the icon represent the four, three and four of our logo, but the icon itself is strong enough to live on its own when that’s appropriate.
What Happens Next
So, what happens next?
For us, we’ll be focused on consistently leveling up our work—for ourselves and for our clients. We’re always committed to being better and that will continue to happen.
If you’re a client, expect the same level of service that you’ve come to count on us for, just with some slightly different visuals. We’ll keep pushing for success for you, just like always.
We’re so excited about this rebrand and we hope you are too. We can’t wait to keep evolving our creative skills and searching for more strategic tools that help our clients succeed.